Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Silent Partner Speaks Atlast

Ok, so I've been the silent partner of the group up until now. I could give you a list of reasons to which you can reply "are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't." Point taken. Let me introduce myself as a single mother of two beautiful and rambunctious boys. I can put a fatal twist on my story or I can thank God that He's given me a great story that will one day help someone else. Anyway, I am blessed. Thank you very much.
Back to the subject at hand, my two beautiful cousins Jess and Liz inspired me to join them on their journey to a greener life. It is amazing how one decision impacts a million little details in your routine life that all of a sudden you find yourself on this unexpected adventure. I was on the phone with Liz the other day and I was picking up some things for a friend of mine in Santa Barbara who is living green in many other ways. She sold her car, apartment, and gave away all of her belongings to travel the world and live in the back of her salon. However, she did need some socks and sports bras from Walmart, and since I was on my way down to Santa Barbara, I picked them up for her. I felt like there were eyes on the walls. It was like in those movies where there's a girl walking through a forest and the trees come to life and grab her. Yea, like that. I was on the phone with Liz when I walked in and the noise of Walmart was obvious, so I confessed.... Then right before checkout, I looked down at my toes and they were unpolished. "Oh noo... I cannot go to Santa Barbara with unpolished toes! I'm going to get some polish. " And it hit me. Hello! I live 2 blocks from here. I'm so used to the convenience and instant gratification that driving back to my house and polishing them for FREE didn't even occur to me. Thank God I was on the phone with Liz or I may not have even noticed my impulsive reaction. So, long story short, it isn't just about not buying something new, it is about living with a whole new awareness that alters your thoughts and decisions. And this magnificent awareness benefits our planet, ourselves, and future generations. Don't we all want to be a part of a story that makes an impact? Don't we all want to die knowing that we did all we could and lived an adventure of love, faith, and giving? We can. We will. Let the adventure begin!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing intro, I knew you'd be good for something! J/K you are an amazing women, and please know that you have made an impact on the world around you! Thank you for choosing to take part in this journey with us! Love, peace and recycling!

    ReplyDelete